Sunday, December 1, 2013

Washing in a HE top load

Some of our group members may know we recently got a new HE top load. ABout 9 months ago my old reliable top loader that I had owned for well over a decade gave out the ghost, it would either not add any water or would overflow the drum, either way it was a huge issue that lead to much hand washing. Someone was kind enough to give us a  free old top loader, but the drum was rusted out on it, so it would fill and wash but also pump water out onto our floor. :/ We ended up with it up on blocks and tubs under it to catch most the water but.... it was not a long term solution. Enter my early Yule gift of a new HE top load set. I have been using it on our cloth diaper stash for about a month now and I feel I can now give an accurate account of how it preforms and how our routine plays out. So here is my step by step, and we have had no odor issues and no build up.

My set is a Samsung with Aqua jet, VRT and Smart Care. It is energy star rated and an HE set. When we made this purchase these were the latest models that had not been out on the floor a full month yet. (They were also on sale!) The set we had been watching was an LG set that is comparable to this set, however it was not on sale and at $1,000 each we really couldn't justify play full sticker price when we could get this set (reg $1,000) for $500 less.

Pre rinse cycle:
Pull inserts free from pockets, add all cloth diaper laundry to washer tub. Add no detergent. Set to Rinse spin cycle, tap col, no spin and extra rinse. 33 minutes for this cycle.

Wash cycle:
I add about half the recommended detergent for a HE machine. I wash using Infant Wear setting, Presoak setting, Warm or Hot water, If using hot I use Eco Plus setting, High spin setting, and Extra Rinse setting. 1:40 run time for this cycle.

Extra rinse cycle:
Rinse spin cycle, Tap cold water, High spin, Extra rinse. 42 minutes for this cycle.

Total run time is 2:55


No comments:

Post a Comment